The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of National Research Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and humanities.
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa’s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT and KAT-7 telescopes in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialization endeavors.
Performs a variety of skilled maintenance and construction work on telescope access roads, farm roads, secondary roads, fire breaks, auxiliary structures, and rights-of-way in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures. ensuring the safe transportation of staff, goods and service to and from site as well as taking the SARAO fleet of vehicles to the surrounding vehicle service centers for services
Location: Carnarvon, Northen Cape
Do not forget to register your cv on our database here REGISTER
Employer: The National Research Foundation (NRF)
- Inspect and maintain existing SARAO road networks with earth moving equipment
- Inspect and maintain farm roads with earth moving equipment
- Inspect and maintain storm water channel with earth moving equipment
- Be proactive in the prevention of erosion at roads and storm water channels
- Maintain effective communication channel with site supervisor and operations staff
- Operate earth moving equipment TBL and Grader
- Grade 10.
- Valid EC vehicle license. (Professional Driving Permit)
- Valid Certificate to operate a Motor Grader
- Valid Certificate to operate a Backhoe/Loader (TLB)
5 years experience operating earth moving equipment and maintaining roads
- Different diesel vehicles
- Mechanical repair skills.
- Knowledge of diesel vehicle repairs
- Operation of common hand tools
How To Apply:
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by logging to https://ess.nrf.ac.za/Account/Recruitment and apply online. Applications should be accompanied by a letter of motivation indicating the applicant·s suitability for the position. The names and contact details of at least three referees should be provided.
Closing Date: 24 May 2022
The NRF offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package which is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The NRF is committed to employment equity and redress and the appointment to the position will be made in line with the NRF
Employment Equity Plan.
The NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Correspondence will be sent to short-listed candidates only