The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation’s health and
quality of life by funding and conducting relevant and leading health research. It further aims to promote equity, career development and progression. The organisation prides itself on three core values: being pioneering, striving for excellence and working collaboratively.
Do not forget to register your cv on our database here REGISTER
Employer: The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC)
Location: Cape Town
The Facilities Handyman will work closely with the Facilities Supervisor to assist with the management and maintenance of the buildings and grounds. The Handyman will lead the maintenance staff and will be responsible for the effective maintenance of all buildings and grounds.
The Facilities Handyman will provide administrative support to the Facilities Supervisor and will take charge of the supervisory function in the absence of the Facilities Supervisor.
- Complete all maintenance Activities/tasks as they arise (Example: Basic: plumbing, electrical, HVAC and other general building repairs).
- Maintenance of buildings by ensuring safety (free from hazards and risks) and ensuring continuation of operations.
- Prepare planned and preventative maintenance checklists and attend to basic general repairs.
- Ensure that work/tasks carried out, complies with municipal by-laws and the OHS Act (building industry regulations).
- Respond to facility related emergencies immediately (e.g. burst pipes, equipment/ machinery malfunction)
- Maintenance of Office grounds and surroundings.
- Adherence to recycling processes and procedure for waste disposal.
- Monitoring Service delivery with Contractors/Service providers.
- Transportation of staff to/from various destinations.
- Collection and distribution of mail/correspondence within region
- Asset control, Maintenance of assets and stocktaking
- General Administration functions (Switchboard/reception relief, Copying, filing etc)
- Grade 12/ Matric or Equivalent
- 5- years handyman experience (Building maintenance, upkeep of premises, Basic electrical, plumbing, carpentry and air conditioning experience)
- Knowledge of OHS Act, (building/construction) and facilities regulations and municipal by-laws
- A Code 8 manual drivers license is essential for the above post as the incumbent will be required to drive the company vehicle. A Driver’s test will be conducted to assess competency.
- Good Interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure
- Willing to work outside normal working hours when required
- Must be able to work unsupervised/without direct supervision
- MS Office packages, relevant computer skills
- Post Matric studies in Operations/ facilities/ Building maintenance
- Understanding of compliance requirements and working with SLA’s
- Greater than 5 years handyman experience (Building maintenance, upkeep of premises, Basic electrical, plumbing, carpentry and air conditioning experience)
How To Apply:
Terms & Conditions: The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment. In accordance with the SAMRC’s Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. By submitting your application, SAMRC concludes that you are a competent person to consent and that you are giving consent to the SAMRC to process and further process all personal information contained in the application in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act, Act No 4 of 2013 (as amended). Applicants are advised that the SAMRC has adopted a Workplace Policy on Covid-19 Vaccinations as part of its conditions of employment. The SAMRC does its best to provide the most accurate information; however, if there is anything wrong and unclear applicants are encouraged to contact the HR Recruitment Office at 021-938 0648 before the closing date.
A salary in the region of R162 990 per annum, cost-to-company
Closing date: 24 May 2022
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R509A) IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT YOUR SUBMISSION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED SHOULD YOUR APPLICATION NOT BE ACCOMPANIED BY THE REQUIRED INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTATION.