This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Do not forget to register your cv on our database here REGISTER
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : TFRAPPLICATIONS5@TRANSNET.NET
The closing date is on 04.05.2022. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
- Operating Division : Transnet Freight Rail
- Position Title : Fire Fighter
- Employee Group : Permanent
- Department : Safety
- Location : Pietermaritzburg C
- Reporting To : Fire Officer
- Grade Level : J2
- Reference Number : 50017928
Lead a team in providing protection of life, property and environment by efficient and effective management of Fire and
Emergency Related Operations. Ensure emergency preparedness and perform administrative duties.
(Other outputs are OD specific and may not be generalised)
1.Maintain operational readiness respond to incidents
2.Physical deployment of staff to work sites.
3.Issue and retrieve fire equipment/materials to staff when and where necessary.
4.General and personnel administration such as time documents, leave, sick, absence, compilation of maintenance records of fire equipment and materials, compilation of fire incidents and hazards, ordering stocks, data capturing orders and stocks,stock takes and audits, goods receipting, asset register, vehicle mileage/petrol consumption and service records of vehicles.
5.Inspection duties (fire equipment, foam injection system, hot work being done, tanker berths and vessels, zonal bund valves – Island View, new installations, Grain Elevator and inspections with other departments with regard to the R.M.D. 9 to conform to the act of industrial machinery.
6.Co-ordinate planned tasks to be executed at the assigned geographic area and regulate the storage, handling and distribution of Dangerous Goods (Hazardous Materials) to comply with legislation and provide reports
7.Fire prevention inspections of industrial, yards, structures and other buildings or sites to identify possible contraventions of fire safety regulations
8.Conduct fire and incident investigations to determine the probable cause of the Incident
9.Continuous supervision and control over subordinates on daily activities.
10.Upkeep and supervision of the fire suppression and protections systems where installed, e.g. Fire monitors in Island View.
11.Investigation and activation of the emergency alarms and fire suppression and protections systems in the Petro chemical Berths.
12.Represent the terminal between ship/shore liaisons during pumping operations.
13.Conduct risk assessments and authorize the work to be carried out by private contractors on the berth as well as diving operations.
14.Tug training as well as the training of the marine staff for their firefighting capabilities and take over firefighting operations in an emergency.
15.Daily and monthly green area meetings.
16.Carryout Co2 and smoke fixed installation tests and servicing, repairs with contractors.
17.Perform any other duties as directed by a person having authority.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Grade 12.
- Fire Fighter 1 (SAQA/IFSAC – International Fire Safety Accreditation Congress) accredited.
- Hazmat Awareness (SAQA/IFSAC) accredited.
- Fire Fighter 2 (SAQA/IFSAC) accredited.
- Hazmat Operational (SAQA/IFSAC) accredited.
- First Aid (level 3) or Basic Ambulance Assistants Certificate.
- Be in possession of a valid driver licence (minimum C1) with PrDP and in a position
None (Entry Level)
- Knowledge of Port / Rail / Pipeline operations
- Must have Fire and Emergency Equipment knowledge
- Must have the ability to analyse presented information, situation(s) and reliably respond, with sound decision-making, to
adopt an effective course of action.
- Knowledge of Fire engineering Science
- Knowledge of Fire Safety
- Knowledge of occupational health and safety in terms of Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993
- Knowledge of harbour regulations/Port Rules
- Knowledge of hazardous substances labels in line with Hazardous Substances Act 15 of 1973 and related Standards and
- Knowledge of incident, management
- Knowledge of international Maritime Organisation Standards and Transportation of Dangerous Goods Legislation and
- Knowledge of SANS codes of Practice (SANS 10400, SANS 10105, SANS 10089,SANS10087, SANS 3000, SANS 10090
and SANS 1475
- Knowledge of International Safety Guide of tankers and terminals
- Knowledge of Fire Brigade Services Act 99 of 1987
- Knowledge of National Environmental Management Act No 62 of 2008
- Knowledge of Disaster Management Disaster Management Act, No. 57 of 2002
- Team work.
- Problem Solving Techniques.
- Effective communication.
- Computer Literacy.
- Safety consciousness
- Risk consciousness
- Results oriented
- Sense of urgency
- Open minded
- Attention to detail.
- Computer skills
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Intrapersonal skill
- Supervisory skills
- Health and Safety skills.
- Mechanical/Technical exposure skills.
- Technical Evaluation skills.
- Decision making skills.
- Analytical skills.
- Public Financial Management skills.
- Report writing skills.
- Managerial skills.
- Leadership skills.
“NB: The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job”.