Job Title: Chief Librarian
Peromnes Grade: P 7 (R 896 095.59 CTC Per Annum)
Location: Head Office Pretoria
Reporting Line: Unit Manager: Knowledge Management
Overall Job Purpose: Oversee and coordinate all aspects of the National Geoscience Library and CGS publication office
Do not forget to register your cv on our database here REGISTER
- Supervise and effectively manage all aspects with regards to the National Geoscience Library including the editing, translation, release, and dissemination of CGS research publications in either report or booklet format.
- Develop, promote and implement new library and publication services and programmes
- Promote the effective circulation of Library resources.
- Resource the library with sufficient research material.
- Guide the use of online literature research databases for information searches.
- Prepare and administer the budget for the library and publication services.
- Prepare statistical and analytical reports.
- Develop and implement library and publication policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant South African laws and regulations including the use of copyright in library materials and resources.
KEY PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Solid knowledge and understanding of digital information resources, research data management, digital repositories, digital preservation and digital imaging technologies
- In-depth knowledge of library and information resources and systems
- Proven experience in and high-level knowledge and understanding of library collection development and management, acquisition, and maintenance
- Proven capability in and understanding of information resource management in a science research environment
- Proven capability in and understanding of reference and online research services
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of bibliographic control and maintenance
- Proficiency in an institutional repository platform software
QUALIFICATION, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Relevant Honours Degree in Library and or Information Science, or equivalent degree and minimum 8 years related experience as an Information Librarian of which 5 years must be Library experience or;
- MSc in Library and or Information Science, or equivalent plus 5 years related experience as an Information Librarian of which 3 years must be Library experience.
How To Apply:
The Council for Geoscience is committed to Employment Equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity prescripts, preference will be given but not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups. Females and people from previously disadvantaged groups and sectors are encouraged to apply.
If you meet the above requirements and wish to apply, please send your application to email@example.com . Please quote the position title (Chief Librarian) as a reference when submitting your application.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not been contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
All appointments are subject to vetting processes. Appointments are subject to positive vetting results.
Applications submitted on CGS social media platforms will not be considered.
Closing Date: 21 January 2022
The Council for Geoscience is a key component of the National Science and Technology System. It undertakes geoscientific research and provides geoscientific services to a variety of clients, including the state. The clientele base is national throughout the SADC region, and further afield, including North Africa, Asia and South America. We invite applications for the positions as listed below.
The Council for Geoscience is committed to Employment Equity and diversity. In accordance with the Employment Equity prescripts, preference will be given but not limited to candidates from under represented designated groups. Females and people from previously disadvantaged groups and sectors are encouraged to apply.
If you meet the above requirements together with that of the individual vacancies listed below and wish to apply, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org .Please quote the position reference when submitting your application.