Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
Submit your cv to : [email protected]
The closing date is on 18.09.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement. Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful. Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to [email protected] We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email [email protected]
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : Fire Fighter
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : SHERQ
Location : Richards Bay
Reporting To : Fire Officer
Grade Level : J2
Reference Number : 10157555
To respond to fire and emergency situations, conduct fire prevention duties, up-keeping and servicing of fire equipment.
• To perform fire protection duties on IMDG vessels, berths, rail sidings and any other duly approved site within port
• To inspect fire equipment in all TNPA buildings and floating crafts to ensure that equipment are in good working
condition and are readily accessible and available in case of fire incidents.
• To man the fire control room to ensure that protection duties by Fire Fighters are well coordinated and that incidents
are accurately and timeously recorded.
• Respond to incidents as emergency crews on a first strike capacity.
PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any
suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.
• Perform the role of driver/operator for emergency response appliances.
• Perform ventilation and salvage task during and after the incident.
• Perform fire patrols at routine intervals.
• Carry, move and handle of all fire fighting equipment.
• Man the fire equipment on board tugs during vessel incidents.
• Standby, inspection and close out of hot work.
• Visual inspection and testing of sprinkler systems.
• Carry out any reasonable and lawful instruction given by Chief Fire Officer/Senior Fire
Qualifications & Experience:
• Grade 12 or Matric
• Fire Fighter 1 & 2 (NFPA 1001)
• First Aid Level 3
• Code C1 drivers’ license
• 6 to 12 Months Fire Fighting experience
• IMDG characteristics
• Dangers associated with commercial ships
• Fire technology
• Fire ground operations Confined space entry Rescue and extrication
• Handling of hazardous material incidents
• Basic fire prevention strategies
• Basic knowledge of OHS Act
• Pump Operations
• Heavy Duty driving
• Breathing Apparatus Operations
• Hazard Identification and Risk assessment
• Rescue and Extrication
• Team Player
• Physical Fitness
• Flexibility and adaptability
• Situation Awareness Confidence and resilience
• Commitment to Development